Strong on and off the court

Sophomore Martin dominates in basketball and shines off the hardwood

March 8, 2017

Lily Martin is a guard for the Pierce basketball team. She grew up watching her brother and sister play, which led to her love for the game.

While watching basketball on TV, Martin told her father as a child, “I’m gonna be on TV playing that.”

When Martin left high school, Pierce College and Green River Community College recruited her. Pierce offered a full scholarship and a starting role on the basketball team.

As she entered her sophomore year, Martin noted her improvement.

“My game is leaps and bounds better than what it was. I used to average four fouls a game. Smarter gameplay is a huge reason for success,” she said.

Throughout the 2016-17 season, Martin was the more aggressive and competitive leader for the Raiders. It proved beneficial in developing team chemistry.

The Raiders don’t have a set captain, but Martin has stepped into that role.

“Our biggest problem is starting great and ending great, but no consistency in the second and third quarters. We dig ourselves into a hole,” she said about this season.  

Martin described  this year’s team as “Jeykll and Hyde.”

“How can we lose by 30 against Green River, but lose by five to Lower Columbia?” she said.

Coming so close against Lower Columbia is evident when Martin plays so aggressive on defense. She has 38 rebounds and averages a steal per game with 24 on the season — six of which was in the Raiders’ first win of the season. Martin has scored 199 points this season  proving to be one of the team’s best shooters.

When she’s not playing basketball, Martin is excelling in school and working at Costco. Her future plans include working as an elementary/middle school teacher in South Korea, while teaching English.

Being a head coach for a women’s basketball team is in her plans as well.

“I’m a better coach than I am a player,” she said.