On to the playoffs for men’s hoops

The Raiders clinch a playoff spot with a 10-3 record

March 8, 2017

On to the playoffs for men’s hoops

After narrowly losing at home to South Puget Sound, the Raiders have dominated their opponents by an average of 19.6 points.

The men travelled to play Grays Harbor on Feb. 18. Pierce gave one of their more outstanding performances in the first half.

The Raiders outscored the Chokers, 45-17, while hitting 46.2 percent of their field goals. Michael Hannan was the hot hand of the night, shooting 6-of-12 from inside the arc and nailing two 3-pointers from downtown.

Ball movement was a crucial part of the game plan as the Raiders had 21 assists for the contest. Pierce dominated Grays Harbor in rebounds, 56-33. Hussayn Ford and Marshaun Williams were stars in the paint, snagging 10 rebounds apiece on the night.

Grays Harbor fought back in the second half, outscoring Pierce, 43-38. The Raiders played a clock-management second half which proved to be beneficial. Pierce won the game, 83-60.

The Raiders next matchup was at home against crosstown rival, Tacoma Community College. In their last matchup, Pierce edged out a three-point victory on Jan. 25. The Raiders defense was on full display, shutting down TCC’s best shooter in Khalil Thompson. Pierce ran roughshod over the defense in the first half, putting up 45 points for the second straight week.

The Raiders had one of their best performances on the season from downtown. Pierce completed 8- of-13 with five coming in the first half. TCC was beat down from 3-point land, completing a lone 3-on-11 attempts. Chris Drake ran the show with 21 points and four late assists. The Raiders again had 20-plus assists on the night. Pierce scored 22 points off 21 turnovers.

Later in the game, TCC began to foul Pierce. The Raiders kept their composure in clutch situations, hitting 12-15 from the line. Pierce outscored TCC in the second half, 39-36, leading to an 84-61 domination of their closest rival.

After winning an emotional game against TCC, Pierce’s momentum steamrolled them over Highline the next week. Hannan was unstoppable, leading the Raiders’ onslaught with 31 points. Hannan completed 70-plus percent in every aspect of the shooting game. On top of scoring, Hannan also lead the team with eight assists.

The Raiders played an outstanding second half with 50 points. Pierce won their third straight game, beating Highline, 97-64.

With the playoffs on the horizon, postseason fever is enveloping the Northwest Athletic Conference. Pierce looks to continue their winning streak and complete their chase for a championship. 

On to the playoffs for men’s hoops