Consistency is the name of the game

March 7, 2017

The Raiders have been one of the more consistent teams this season. Pierce is on a six-game winning streak featuring a beat down of division foe Lower Columbia.

Pierce dominated the turnover battle with 18 steals to Lower Columbia’s three. Raiders' Hussayn Ford delivered another great performance, leading the team in field goals with 10. Robert Rucker also flourished on the court, hitting seven field goals and three from downtown. 

Free throws were inconsistent for both teams. Pierce shot 63.2 percent while Lower Columbia shot better, hitting 71.4 percent. The Raiders seemed to struggle early in the first half with only a three-point lead going into halftime. 

Raider fan Manuel Cuadrado attended the game. 

“Pierce needs to get the ball to everyone. Let the players play and use their instincts.” 

The Raiders played one of its best second halfs of the season, outscoring Lower Columbia, 42-29. 

The defense never gave Lower Columbia a chance with 68.4 percent defensive rebounding. Pierce’s offense scored .99 points per possession. A key to this was the offensive rebounds, grabbing 45.1 percent. The Raiders defeated Lower Columbia, 76-59, earning a second place in the competitive Western Division behind South Puget Sound.

After the win against Lower Columbia, Pierce battled another division rival in Centralia. 

The Raiders kept Centralia at bay in the first half, 45-35. Centralia kept fighting and scored 27 points off turnovers in clutch moments. Makaleb McInnis lead Pierce in scoring, hitting five field goals, two 3-pointers, and nailing a perfect 10-for-10 on free throws.

The Raiders struggled in the second half but kept its composure to again outscore Centralia, 40-39. Pierce won by double digits again, 85-74. 

The Raiders play crosstown rival Tacoma Community College on Feb. 22 at 8 p.m. With the playoffs on the horizon, the Raiders look to continue their winning streak and clinch a spot in the Western Division playoffs.