Contribution to Black History Month Musicians

talented and aspiring influential black artists

February 28, 2017

With the celebration of Black History Month, the Pierce College community would like to bring focus to some of the most influential black musicians in music history, beginning with Louis Armstrong. Armstrong was one of the most inspiring musicians in the creation of jazz, famous for his works such as “La Via En Rose,” “Star Dust,” and “What a Wonderful World,” which are loved to this day. From the music of jazz, the exciting sensation of bebop was born with the talented skills of Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, and Charlie Parker, opening the doors for John Lee Hooker, a master in blues who influenced the U.K community and inspired great artists such as The Beatles, and creating a pathway for great musicians such as Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, all the way to recent artists such as Snoop Dog, Alicia Keys, J. Cole, Beyoncé, Stevie Wonder, Nicki Minaj, and the late Prince. Each of these artists create messages with purpose that ring today through their music and actions, touching all who appreciate them to build upon what is already formed. In the words of Usher, “We have to come together as a country to solve these problems, and this is one way I can contribute.” Without the influence of the black community, who gave life to jazz all the way to today’s R&B and rap, music would not be the same as it is today. Please, take a moment to listen to these honored artists and appreciate the gifts they have given to future generations, living on beyond the mortal lifespan through their music.