Men keep pace in high-powered Western Division

Raiders keep winning streak alive

February 8, 2017

The Raiders men’s basketball team has been in the top three of the western division for the season. Pierce sits at 4-2 behind S. Puget Sound (6-0) and division leader Lower Columbia (6-0).

Pierce student Manuel Cuadrado said, “Defense wins championships. These guys are finding ways to get the ball out and capitalize.”

The men have forced 297 turnovers this season.

“Just play your game and you’ll be number one. They looked fantastic against TCC.”

The Raiders played their cross-town rival TCC on Jan. 25 on the road. This game featured one of the league’s best scorers in Khalil Thompson, who is averaging 22.84 points per game, going up against one of the stingiest defenses in Pierce, who allowed the third fewest points per game with 72.6. In a Western Division showdown, the Raiders started strong, taking a 37-27 halftime lead.

TCC fought back in the second half, winning the defensive stops battle. Pierce struggled at the line all night, shooting 56.3 percent to TCC’s 62.5 percent. Hussayn Ford was the hot hand for Pierce taking 24 shots on the night. The Raiders offense kept their composure in the fourth quarter to prevent a comeback from the Titans. The final was 72-69.   

The Raiders kept their momentum from the division win entering a matchup against Highline. Pierce crushed Highline in each quarter. Brilan Kelly led the Raiders, hitting 10 of 15 field goals on the night. Pierce cruised to a 93-52 victory.

The Raiders play first place Lower Columbia on Feb. 8. Each division game is crucial, especially when you enter the midway point of the season. Two of the league’s best defenses squaring off promise to be a key component to the tightly contested playoff race.