Millions of Women March for Rights

February 3, 2017

An estimated 3.2 million protesters total marched for women’s equality on Jan. 21 all across America.

Protesters from every background and gender marched on Washington DC and state capitols in the US with thousands of protesters throughout the country.

The march took place on January 21st in Washington DC with over 600 sister marches starting at 10:00 a.m. Sister marches in Olympia and Seattle were attended by thousands of marchers.

Protesters from all over the state congregated to the capitol building, marching in the road, the sidewalks and everywhere in between. An estimated 10,000 marchers came to the Olympia march, sitting on capitol steps with homemade signs, slogans, and speeches.

The movement was against hate and for equality for women. Other protesters dissented against Trump’s executive orders and economic inequality. Local tribes and water protectors marched for solidarity against fracking and big oil companies that ignored treaty agreements and environmental responsibility. Many causes were meshed into one protest all across the nation, resulting in some of the biggest crowds to ever appear in US history.

To show support for women everywhere, many protesters wore knitted pink hats with cat ears. It was to show solidarity for “pussy power”. A sea of pink greeted protester and non-protester alike all across America. Posters and signs with messages like “#NODAPL” and “This pussy grabs back” flooded on the street in every style, shape, and size.

The march started and concluded at the Olympia capitol campus, but many stopped on capitol steps to listen to speakers words and music before returning to the start.

Among the marchers was local activist and mentor at Pierce, Curtis Warmington. He marched for women's equality and against oppression with his wife and other faculty members. The women’s march is far from being their last march. “I have a feeling I’m going to march once a month for the next 4 years” said Warmington.

Some students and employees didn’t attended the march for varied reasons. Paul Agbayani, pierce student and library employee, simply had no time but supported the protest.

“I thought it was very successful,” Agbayani said. “I saw pictures of the march. I wish I was there.”

Paul plans on going to more protests in the future when he has free time.

Some students didn’t even hear about the march. Lynsie, a young student at Pierce, looked on her phone to find out what the march was.

When she did, it was hard for her to find exactly what the march was about. Many things were being protested in the marches, but it was mainly for equality and women’s rights.

“I think it’s more effective to focus on a single issue at a time” said Lynsie.

Some staff shared this view and don't want anything to do with the marches at this time.

Ericka Solebee, a hard working custodian at Pierce, said that she and her husband chose to stay home.

“The march turned into an anti-trump protest,” Solebee said. “It's not gonna change. No matter how many protests they do, the president won't change.”

As of now, she plans to work and be with her loving husband. Her main concern at this point is how messy the couches near the library always get.

For those who missed the women’s march and want to get involved, there is an official website for the march. The website, womensmarch.com, offers event info, donations, and instructions on how to organize your own protest.

The women’s march of Olympia facebook page connects with local activists and organizers who can help you become a part of the fight for equality. You can also call your state senator, Maria Cantwell, at 253-572-2281 and let her know your position.