What Joyce Yeung had found as being an ambassador was a pleasure of helping international students

October 19, 2016

Recently, the International Education Department hired new international student ambassadors. I sat down with Joyce Yeung to talk with her experience as an ambassador.

As representatives of international students and another office staff of the International Education Departments, international student ambassadors have contributed to college’s international education and international student’s lives.

Surprisingly, the international student ambassador program was started last year. It is a position that not only give a good opportunity to work for international students, but also improve the better communication with international students while knowing more about their needs for the International Education.

The international student ambassadors serve for one quarter and receive $100. According to Matthew Linden of the International Education Department, currently, there are nine international student ambassadors in five different countries: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam.

Joyce Yeung is the Hong Kong student ambassadors. She has been working as an ambassador for two quarters since last Spring Quarter. “It is a great opportunity to know many students from other countries,” said Yeung. She also stated that meeting and working with various people and faculty is another pleasure of being an ambassador. 

“Our main purpose is communicating between students and the school.” As Yeung claimed, international student ambassadors mainly work with staffs at the International Education Department and promote events and activities that the department hosts.

Their office duties are usually looking through essential materials for international students, such as a student handbook for the new student orientation. “Orientations and events are also a great chance to greet and listen students directly.” Yeong added. 

For Yeung, the best experience while working an ambassador was a cultural exchanging program event last spring quarter with visiting students who were from Osaka, Japan.

“It was very fun to have Japanese traditional games and different activities that people joined together there. When I listened to some of the Japanese student speakers presentations, I learned about some different culture and their words, which have no meaning in English,” said Yeung.

Yeung added that she cannot forget the hospitality that Japanese exchanged students showed to her and another ambassador. “They welcomed us as well as showed their willingness to make friendships with us.”

Yeung feels quite proud of being selected as an international student ambassador. “I think this is a good use of my personality and my ability,” said Yeung.  What she learned from the position was communicating with people and managing a time efficiently. “I am still learning,” said Yeung with chuckle.

The hardest part of being an international student ambassador for Yeung is a deficiency of working hours. “The ambassadors cannot do much since their office hours are so short; one hour per week is not really enough to get things done,” said Yeung.

Yeung said it would be improved as there are student’s needing ambassador’s advice about their concerns, such as transferring to universities or academic consulting. “I try to be useful. As an ambassador, I have more identity, so I use my opportunity to meet new students, and hope my experiences can help them.”

Last week, Yeung baked an ice cream cake for her host fathers’ birthday. “Host parents are really nice and generous. Having host father’s birthday, my host mother and I baked our own cakes,” said Yeung. She has many family members; Host parents, four students, two children, two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, and a fish. They are now planning to adopt two more children.

Yeung’s favorite food is Mexican food. “I had Mexican food here for the first time, and it was really great. I have tried some authentic Mexican food at the school’s cafeteria and I have looked for some restaurant in town as well,” said Yeung.

What Yeung wants to be in the future is a chiropractor. She is inspired by her father who has the same vocation. “I am hoping to transfer to Sherman Chiropractic College after graduating Pierce,” said Yeung.

Yeung said, “Being an international ambassador is an amazing gift to be set up and has given me many valuable experiences. But one quarter is not enough. If students keep work as an ambassador, it would be really good thing.”