Megan Quint & Amber Smith

First presidential debate a failure for both candidates

Debate performances didn’t inspire trust necessary for undecided voters

October 11, 2016

Trump and Clinton both talked over each other, showing that neither is mature enough to take on the role of becoming our new President.
It is difficult to put trust in Trump because of his position on the unemployment rate. Trump said, “Don’t believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5% unemployment. The numbers probably are 28, 29, as high as 35. In fact, [I] recently heard 42%.”
The fact is that the unemployment rate is currently at 4.9%, or 9.9%, if you include the underemployment rate, per the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, June of 2016.
Clinton is difficult to trust due to her involvement with and how the Benghazi attack was handled.
“I and nobody did anything wrong, but there were changes that could be made,” said Clinton.
In fact, The State Department released in a report that there were “ systematic failures in leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels within two Bureaus of the State Departments and resulted in a special mission security posture that was inadequate for Benghazi.”
Trump and Clinton are not very serious about the issues that the United States faces. They do both seem to agree about unemployment and how “we are losing jobs to China.”
If both candidates work together, it might make for a brighter United States of America. The United States is lacking a huge amount of ownership.
As a President of the United States, one should be firm with the issues that we are facing.
The topics that were addressed in the debate were about crimes against African Americans, the unemployment rate, and technology and social science. This presidential debate lacks conversation on a plethora of other topics and it seems to be unrealistic.
If they were both willing to communicate with each other rather than “attacking” each other, more people will actually be willing to vote.