Raiders have a Championship on the Mind

Pierce gains new talent to make a title run in 2016

October 7, 2016

The offseason is coming to an end for the Pierce College Raiders basketball teams. November 18th is the date all of the fans await as the Raiders take on the Clark College Penguins in Portland Oregon at 7:00pm. This is the 50th year for Pierce College and the Raiders have a chance to make the 50th a championship year.

Last year was a tough year for the Raiders as they barely missed the playoffs. The Raiders finished the season with an overall record of 11-17 with a conference record of 6-8. The Raiders offense averaged 74.3 points per game with the defense allowing 76.4 points per game.

Guard Robert Rucker led the Raiders in 28 games shooting 43 percent from 3 point land while also posting 41 percent from 2 point. Forward Casey Gearhart and guard Robert Knox Jr. shared the best 2 point percentage for the season with 49.  Cameron McKissic who played 12 games shot 81percent from the foul line. Guard Makaleb McInnis led the team in point per game with 14.00. Pierce had 5 players average double-digit points per game in 2015-16.

As a team, the Raiders were tied in the NWAC shooting 42 percent of their 2 point shots, a slight decline from last year by 4 percent. The Raiders completed 36 percent of their shots from 3 point land, 5 percent higher than last season. Pierce would like to clean up their 3 point attempts and get their average up to 40+ percent. The Raiders offense had a 5 percent increase from last season scoring on 70 percent of their free throw attempts. Pierce was 2nd from last in the NWAC with most points in a game scoring 90. The offense was solid putting up 462 assists on the season. The Raiders were solid on defense when it came to allowing points and were good at stealing the ball. The defense was average on the season when it came to blocked shots on the stat sheet. Overall it was a good season statistically for the Raiders that unfortunately did not result in a playoff berth for Pierce College.

This season hopes to be a promising one for the players, coaches, and fans of the Raiders. The team is acquiring new young talent to bolster the returning cast of players. Coach Mendelson and Pierce athletic director Duncan Stevenson both noted that the new roster for the basketball team is not set yet. Mr. Stevenson said that there are 20 young players practicing at Pierce fighting for a roster spot with only 14 to 15 positions available. The roster hopes to be set within a month. Can the young talent bring a championship to Pierce? The Raiders schedule can be found on at www.nwacsports.org. If chemistry can form between returning and new players, the Raiders look to be a dominant force this year on the hardwood.