Reflection on a college experience

College may be important to an education, but there is more to the experience

June 6, 2016

Why go to college? This is a question I wrestled with for days, talked over with family and friends, trying to come up with more reasons why I should rather than reasons why I can’t. After all, I have a lot of years of work experience, do I really need to bother with homework again? And I’ll be honest, my last experience with school wasn’t anything I’d care to repeat. What happened in high school will stay in high school.

But as I took an honest look at what I was doing, song lyrics kept playing in my head, “Some nights I stay up cursing my bad luck, some nights I call it a draw.” Did my work life really reflect what I stand for? I didn’t like the feedback I was getting.

In deciding to go to college, I knew there was more to it than just picking what degree I wanted to earn. I could just come to class, participate in the class discussions as necessary, do my homework, and get a fancy piece of paper or I can come away with so much more.

So from the first day I jumped in like my first dive in the deep end of the pool without a life jacket. Yes, I was way out of my element, at first it was hard to breathe, and it took a little bit to get my bearings. But by the end of the second week, I rediscovered why I liked Math, English was still fun and I started looking at what else college has to offer. I like to write and what a coincidence, the Pioneer uses freelance writers. There are clubs where I can experience diversity in ways that isn’t a part of my everyday life.

When I’m done here, I’ll be playing a different set of song lyrics in my head. Who knows, I might even write some of my own.