Okay so I masturbate on average about once every day or so I have a lot of free time. I don't use any toys or anything just my hands. But one day after I masturbated I pulled my pants back up and relaxed in bed and my clit started to itch. Not really bad just enough to irritate me. So I rubbed it softly instead of itching hoping that would help. (My hands were dry at this point) and when I did that I felt a slight sting. Like when you touch an open wound with a finger. And I tried to look and see what was going on but I have big lips so it was hard. Then it felt like I opened a cut or made one bigger. It freaked me out. Could I cut myself by masturbating just with my hands? And if so and I do have a cut it's right above my clit so how exactly is that going to heal??

Yes, genital cuts happen sometimes during both masturbation and partnered sex (And to both women and men), but fortunately they usually heal within 1-3 days if there's no further irritation. In the future, you can reduce the risk of tearing by using lubricant when you masturbate. This can reduce friction, increase pleasure, and reduce the risk of genital cuts and tears. You might try applying a little lubricant to your fingers as well as putting some on your vulva, maybe even right on or around the clitoris or wherever you generally touch yourself.

Debby Herbenick, PhD is an Associate Professor at Indiana University’s School of Public Health and a Research Fellow and sexual health educator at The Kinsey Institute. She’s the author of six books about sex; her newest is The Coregasm Workout. Follow Kinsey Confidential on Twitter @KinseyCon & visit us online at www.KinseyConfidential.org